Friday, January 25, 2013

What is this?

Alright, So I figured not many of you know what the AmeriCorps is. I sure didn't until I researched and research and researched it! Thanks to a friend and mentor from camp this summer, I looked into it! Thank you Phil!!! :)

The AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) is drawn from the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930's and the US military, which many of you are probably familiar with. I will be working with men and woman ages 18-24. There are 5 campuses around the US, located in California, Colorado, Iowa (where I will be, woot woot!), Mississippi, and Maryland.  Our mission is to strengthen communities and develop leaders through national and community service. The NCCC partners with FEMA (disaster releif) and many other organizations to get us projects to work on.

The AmeriCorps NCCC is a 10 month commitment in which I will be serving with 8-10 other individuals. We stay in dorm like housing and will travel by a 15 passenger van to all of our projects.

I hope this helps some of you to understand what I will be doing for the next year. I am so excited to start this journey to meet and serve a TON of people! I know that God has great plans for me and I can't wait to see what he does with me. Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers. I defiantly could not do it without them!

I got all this information from this website if you want to find out more about all the different things the AmeriCorps has. http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/nccc.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment